Filter by rating :
filters

W.Y.Lee Over A Cup Of Coffee | Authorhouse review

Since my publication of my poetry book, Over A Cup Of Coffee on July 13, 2013, I am perturbed with your promotion as initially suggested with the Pinnacle package. Authorhouse should clearly state how the book will be distributed. I checked with other publishing companies, such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Indigo carrying and promoting my book on the Internet, something I have not seen from the company I had paid to have my book published. I am not pleased that your marketing division has barbarded me with offers and to have me purchase my own books to promote.To date, I have only received a cheque of $4.00 ( most likely from the two copies from my friend ). Do your company keep track of the sold books by other companies, as they seem to have a price quote? I do not believe my accounts reflect the true accounting amount which I should be receiving given how many companies from different countries. I am an unsatisfied client in need of your company's transparency and accountability?

Other Product Review

Kim Navarro is offering me a promo but his calls on unknown phone number. Besides the email he sent to me does not have authorhouse logo.
Poor customer service
I was also a victim of the unsavory business practices of Author House. I read their ad on a site called " FreelanceWriting.com" I had a children's maze book that I was thinking about publishing. I called the number and spoke with a representative. The rep. was a...
Review
Cons
  • Fact that they misled me
  • Failure to honor contract
  • Piliged my bank account
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund
Tags
  • Misleading Hustlers
  • Neglagent

Authorhouse - Publishing Service Review from London, London

I am willing to go on TV about this. I spent over 2k to get my book published. No royalties. Emails quickly dried up after all money was spent. I wish I checked out Author house before investing. They're clearly scamming aspiring authors! Only after angry email did I get a 0.57p check!!!!

Please join the free to you, class action lawsuit against AuthorHouse. Their website is www.gslawny.com There is a section on the site that you can post your experience.

Please do so. The more people who enter the suit the stronger the case will be and hopefully they will be put out of business once and for all.

Problems with payment

Bad business | Authorhouse review from Morgan Hill, California

They pressured me into buying packages to promote my books. After paying the hefty fees, the same person at AuthorHouse who called me did not pick up my phone calls anymore. They also would not pay out loyalties, and there is strong reason to believe they lie as to how many books have been sold. They pressured me into buying packages to promote my books. After paying the hefty fees, the same person at AuthorHouse who called me did not pick up my phone calls anymore. They also would not pay out loyalties, and there is strong reason to believe they lie as to how many books have been sold.
Not as described/ advertised

Book Production Review

I paid to have my book formatted the way I wanted. Paid for it up front and they simply screwed me by not giving me what I paid for
Not as described/ advertised

Intense Pressure to Sign | Authorhouse review

I was contacted by a rep. of this company about a true account of a disorder as it reveals itself in the older population. There is much about this newer study for the younger population but nothing yet that I have. They were greatly interested in this book BUT required to purchase a pricey "kit" before even beginning the book. I have written previously and was instantly skeptical of this "kit" I must purchase prior to dealing with them. (They knew ONLY what I said on the phone - had no idea if I could actually write something publishable or not.) But, what completely turned me was intense, daily multiple calls to go forward with them - very high pressured. Then came a sarcastic (I felt) email asking if I "was serious about publishing my book." Early on I felt something amiss with this company and am thankful for a sense of caution, esp. when such a company is way too demanding and eager. I was not treated with professionalism.
#931911

The company publication managers are enthusiastic when potential works and authors contact them. If you believed in your ability to write something and initiated interest from them and then expect any publishing company not to have any charges then you are very naïve.

Also procrastination is a major problem with new authors, they know you have a fear of non success and even ridicule so the tactic is to keep your idea alive by making contact with you. It seems you have not written the piece yet, you might consider contacting them again when you do have a draft document. Your only expense thus far would then only be a note book a pencil and lots of midnight oil. I am a first time author and have had a very positive experience bringing my book to publication.

They have an expert polite staff and as for you being annoyed at the email asking if you if you were serious about publication I think you mis-understood the question. If you told them you were committed to write and publish your piece then they would offer you valuable advice and recommend mentors and publications to guide you through your endeavor at no charge. Of course they also offer professional services to you for a fee and also offer financhial advice and instalment payments. To sum up I think you might re-open a dialog with them and take as much advice as you can without spending a penny.

When you have your document draft then talk about their fees to help you self publish.

They do a really good job at a very competitive price. Tou will need a computer of some type with word and PDF files in order to do business.

I too have been hounded by a young lady from this company for well over a year now. She mentioned she is based in the Pillippines and has young children to feed so she is trained to be pushy.

The concept for self-publishing is a workable plan but being required to invest in a package deal up-front lacks professionalism. Beware, your best interests are not in their training manual!

#931918
@Sky Dancer

You are so naïve, Do you really expect professional services free! Only if you have become a celebrated author or a text book professor can you hope for no charge publishing.

Unless you have some kind of nepotism available then *** will freeze over before you get a piece published on goodwill alone. AuthorHouse offer a very competitive package at all levels and it is after all your work so unlike many publishers you retain all the intellectual rights. They offer a lot of pro advice for free to enable you to produce a valid final draft for submission. You can do this without spending a penny.

Then for a very competitive fee they will guide you through the process to an end product proof read and edited and published on all e-book formats, and hard copies printed to YOUR agreed designs, What do you all expect?

A book on the shelves at Barnes and Noble without professional effort or advice? You are all non serious wanna be writers, Take charge and make use of this low cost avenue to publication. By the way have any of you read a book on Kindle that has not been professionally formatted and proofed.

It is comparable to stories from a 10th grade English class full of bad spelling, grammar and incredibly poor formatting. Is this what you want then go ahead, but think before you leap blindly into the unknown.

They are not very interested in ANY book, they're just interested in your credit card. They aren't a real publisher, they are a scam vanity publisher pretending to be self publishing when they aren't even that. Real self publishing is free like Smaswords

#931920
@Honey

Utter Rubbish. How *** you are.

I have just received a call regarding my childrens book and thought the same. Why would you ask for payment and yet you know nothing.

I asked them where they were based , this seemed to offend and I was told.

why would it matter its not my dream to publish?? confused.com

Real publishers are extremely selective and don't cold call people or ask for any money this is a fake scammy vanity publisher. If you can't get an agent or real publisher for your book you can self publish for free on Smaswords as an ebook and lots of people buy self published ebooks, where they wouldn't pay out for an expensive print copy.

Self publishing in print is a nonsense waste of time unless you have already sold 10,000 or more ebooks. Because people don't want to risk the expensive cost of a print book if it's self published unless it's already popular, but they will take a chance on the ebook.

I also initially contacted Authorhouse to ask questions. I felt it was not for me in that, as one said here, Authorhouse really had no idea if I was a good writer or not.

They also pursued me. I'd rather know that I am wanted because my work is of quality, not just someone who says they have a book to publish. I have been offered a contract from another such publisher, but again, it was the same. Self-publishing is exactly that- that you have someone publish your book and they make money off of you.

I have seen the work that some have produced by these publishers and they are not always very good. Every person I know who wanted to self publish was able to and got a contract. This is one side of the coin. The other side are the ones who have been published by self-publishers and are happy.

I also was happy that as a kid, I played school with my siblings and made up my own curriculum and "books" for everyone to read. I was a legend in my own mind. Today, in real life I could actually sell my own books, I'm sure, but are the publishers really going to scrutinize and actually tell me if I'm not ready? I would hope so.

By the way, regular publishers laugh if you put down that your published work(s) was self-published. Another name for self-publishing is "Vanity Press".

The only time I think a self-publishing place would work is if you had a family history that would not be interesting to the whole of the population. Regular publishers make that determination.

@Cath

Real publishers never ever ask for money from authors they are PAID for their work. I found a real publisher that wanted my work and I get paid.

I only made $1000 but at least I was paid not stolen from!

I have never self published myself, but I have friends who have self published for free on Smashwords. I am here reading these comments because my relative was scammed by this horrible company.

Sorrry to hear about your nasty experience dear,but I think it was one of those isolated and unfortunate cases.I have a wonderful story to tell about AuthorHouse though,and it contradicts your experience.I have been attended to by a very professional personal consultant who 'treats me like a king that I'm' because I'm indeed their king!I've had financial challenges for some time but my consultant always had something good to say and to comfort me.

@Hussein

I also had a bad experience with AuthorHouse. They tend to want money from you ...

over and again. It doesn't matter how many times you say no.

They keep calling and emailing. This seems to be the tremd with them so NO, Hussein, it was not an isolated case.

View more comments (10)
Authorhouse Publishing Service

Had a book published by Authorhouse over a year ago and according to their records we have only sold 1 book!!

2.0
My wife and I paid over $400.00 to publish our book "Only God" slightly over a year ago with the assurance from Authorhouse that we would recoup our expenses for publishing the book in a few months. They said our book would be available by e-book and paperback in over 100 different websites. According to their so-called records we have only sold one book in over a year. We have had friends and neighbors to tell us they had ordered the book, but have seen no royalties , other than a $1.00+ last month. We feel they are fraudulently keeping some of our royalties for themselves and we are very upset about the money we have lost, because of Authorhouse.

Here is my novel, available in Kindle: I think it might be available on Amazon free lending library as well, if my publisher has set it up right. The physical printed copy is same but they only have old copy on display they were supposed to have changed it to this one.

Nonetheless, people that order printed copy will get this new copy. Not sure how much I can trust Author House Publishers but they seemed OK. When I self published I was selling more copies and Amazon was paying me royalties. But since I published with Author House Publishers earlier this year I have not sold a copy or had a penny roylties.

Not even from Kindle.

They entirely took over my Kindle account? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MZBD3JM/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_Va6-tb0WY3NEV

@Steve Phillips

Yeah they charge people for what they can get entirely for free from Amazon and Smashwords then they keep all the royalties. If you look at your contract it tells you they only pay 20% NET of any royalties. What that means is they can claim anything as NET (claim a whole bunch of things that get take out before NET) so they can get away with giving you nothing at all no matter how much you sell.

Maybe if you wrote a book about a REAL subject, instead of an imaginary sky daddy, you would of done much better!

@Keeping It Real

Yeah Xlibris employee, keep telling your customers they suck and shouldn't expect anything for the thousands of dollars your scammy company takes from it's victims. Keep it Real, Keeping it false from a desperate Author Solutions scam artist "sales rep" And no I'm a real author with a real publisher I didn't buy from your scam company but my 83 year old grandma did you horrible thief

Thank you for the review. This helped me make my decision not to use AuthorHouse.

So sorry to hear about the problem. Maybe you can republish with createspace.com?

Thank God for your comments because they have been calling me about publishing with them, and I have thought about the fact that I will not make any gains (just 10%) with major retailers!

@SamRock

They aren't a real publisher at all, no one should be considering them. Real publishers only take 3% or less of manuscripts sent to them because of quality control.

View more comments (6)
not getting enough Royalties
Loss
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

BEWARE AUTHORHOUSE SCAM!

They provide bad service ..they own my grandma 9 years worth of royalties and will not pay her.... They deliberately manufactured mistakes and charged her extra to correct the mistakes that they had put in my grandma's book...they delayed the printing time to charge more money and they completed the cover of her children's book wrong and charged us again to fix it .....they are just really bad people and you cannot trust them. They kept passing the phone to different people telling me and my grandma to ring different people and giggling. My Grandma spent a lot of time promoting her book and more money for promotion and everything was a lie.

May I ask how you found out how much they owe your grandma? I may be dealing with the same situation. Thank you.

Amazed at what I am reading here | Authorhouse review

I am amazed at what I am reading here. Not disputing anyone's word because I don't know anyone's personal experience other than what is written here. Author House has done a pretty good job for me, all things considered, except I can't understand half of what their foreign speaking reps says; this is a always a good excuse to hang up the phone. My royalty checks still come after 10 years and I buy some on occasion to sell at local events. I never expected to get rich off my first effort at writing but I have been relatively pleased with Author House.

I am really worried now.spent an awful lot of money on book, expecting to at least get my money back .Don't look as though I'm going to be lucky ! How can company's get away with it?

Funny how the fake reviews from Author Solutions staff always pretend people are mad about not "getting rich" off their first book. NO they are mad about getting scammed completely and absolutely in every possible area.

Go away scammy staff member.

This is pissed consumer so no one but a staff member would post here. This isn't a site for posting about being pleased with a half *** job, this is pissed consumer therefore you are obvious desperate lying staff.

View more comments (1)