Filter by rating :
filters

BEWARE! | Authorhouse review

must say with a heavy heart that all the hard earned money I invested in getting my grandfather's book published has gone down the drain. thanks to this fraudulent agency called 'authorhouse'. please do not trust them a bit as their agents are solely after your money. they will pester you with their calls till you are duped into believing that they are genuine and good. then once they have extracted a fat sum, they will disappear. very poor marketing and pr servcies. donate money to a charity but not these scamsters please!Do not get trapped by their sweet talking agaents who sit in Philipnes and India and pretend to be in the USA

When my book was being prepared for its third edition, my publisher unfortunately went into Receivership. And despite the fact that it had also been translated and published in Dutch and Italian editions, having a good track record, I was unable to find an agent who would take it on.

I therefore decided to go the POD route and contracted to publish (to my deep regret) with AuthorHouse, which I later discovered was condemned by a number of very disgruntled and ripped-off authors.

Beguiled by the fact their promotions stated they would get my book into Waterstones and off the presses within three weeks, I paid up in October via AuthorHouse UK in Milton Keynes.

However, from then on I heard nothing. Christmas came and went with nary a word. My many chaser letters were ignored. Virtually every time I tried to phone them I was switched to their office in the USA. When I finally got through to Milton Keynes, the Director ‘said’ he had no idea why my phone calls were always transferred to America; but worse, he had no idea of the progress of my book and told me to "Contact them through their website".

Then what on earth was the UK branch for, but seemingly to bamboozle unwitting British authors into thinking it was an English company? After many more unsatisfactory calls to America, I learned that the guy supposedly 'handling' my work had left the company 2 months before and no one knew anything about my pre-paid POD book. So I was obliged to send them the book and all illustrations all over again. And yet again a third time, since they said no one had received the second sending.

I had to chase them every inch of the way and never once did they give me a progress report. After many hassles and constant lack of assistance and information the book finally came out nine months beyond their ‘three-week’ specification and ten months after my payment.

Fortunately, although the books were sent a month later than promised, at least the result was a good print job. (But apparently many other authors had to contend with disasters).

As for representation in Waterstones, it turned out they only intended to put 3 copies in ONE bookshop only and never specified which branch.

When I queried the situation regarding their original promotional offer, the UK Director simply laughed, "Ho-ho! How much are you paying for that?"

It was never distributed it to any other retail outlets. But on Amazon I discovered that it was being sold for $4.75 when I had specified £12.95 as cover price. On my phone calls being switched to America, I was given the runaround from office to office until I heard an off-click at the end of the line. My frantic emails were ignored. Later, Amazon said it was ‘Out of Stock.’

During contractual negotiations, their obscure forms regarding royalties and book pricing had been incomprehensible to me. But no one was able, or willing, to explain what a ‘Channel Price’ was, despite several requests on how to fill the forms or what cover price I should ask. They told me they did not understand English pricing so they could not help me. I was obliged to fill in the forms ‘blind’ as it were. But eventually they seemed to agree that my ‘royalty’ was supposedly at £5.11, but in the event I found they were only offering me a .42p royalty. Somewhere they are making money selling my books, because about every six months I get a cheque for a ridiculous .79p or £1.20, which I have never cashed because the processing costs more than the cheque.

Often I receive very pushy phone calls from America promoting upsells and pressing me hard to buy large stocks of my book, which is precisely what I wanted to avoid with POD, which I understood to offer one book at a time when someone ordered it.

And yet under constant telephone pressure, I foolishly fell for the AuthorHouse Marketing Advisor’s enthusiastic spiel that advertising in the ‘Radio-TV Interview Report’ would get my book tremendous exposure in the US, stating:

“Through AuthorHouse’s RTIR Book Marketing packages, the author gains widespread saturation coverage of radio and television producers in North America who book guests from outside their local areas.”

I paid £400 for a half page advert in this ‘mythical’ report, as I never saw a copy. And I never heard any more about it.

But I am still bombarded with upsells.

I live in France, but when I next visited the UK, in order to confront the AuthorHouse Branch Office directly on all these issues, I made a special cross-country journey to Milton Keynes. Much was my dismay when I finally found the office, only to be told “Oh, AuthorHouse? They moved out a year or two ago.” Yet their website still maintained the Milton Keynes address for two years afterwards. And they still promote an illusory ‘AuthorHouse UK’ website with NO contact address. Yet every time the Marketing Advisor wrote to me (from Illinois, USA), he used the Milton Keyne’s address at the bottom of his letter, continuing to promote the myth of a UK office.

Choose AuthorHouse at your peril.

@Gandalf the Geru

I know how you feel, they keep telling me I owe £1500 for advertising on Google Apps £1500 when you can do this for free they say I owe them cash Like a complete prat I paid it and never got a receipt. Do I still owe them £499 like they say I do?

View more comments (1)
$2000

GO TO BOOKFINDER4U TO SEE DISTRIBUTION OF YOUR BOOKS | Authorhouse review

Type in your book's name and you can see where it is being sold worldwide. Compare this to the royalty checks you receive from AuthorHouse/Xilibris as a reality check. If something doesn't seem right with your royalty checks based on the vast distribution you may have, it probably isn't! Do your research and let the writer beware. Take action as needed to get what you deserve - do not stand for being ripped off! Demand to see copies of how the publsiher determined your royalty payments (where sold, which type of format for the books, etc.) If the business is legitimate, they should have no problem providing this to you. Isn't that how they figured out what you should be paid?!

You can check on which companies distribute your book, but where do find out how many of your books have actually been sold?

Review

Do not publish your book with Authorhouse!

Authorhouse published my book three years ago. Although they show the author all the information about sales and royalties, I have not received any payment from them. They just refuse to pay royalties for the whole period. The customers service reps, do not give serious answers whenever I called them. The strategy is to "tell you stories" or put you on hold forever. If you plan to self-publish a book, please look for a honest publishing company and avoid Authorhouse services. Although they do not pay the royalties their reps keep sending me marketing proposals as if everything was OK.

I've been feeling duped from the git go. They had initially contacted me about a book I wrote 20 years ago, and went on a huge hype about stories of that nature being big market today [5 years ago] Offered me a huge Pinnacle Package deal and gave me time to raise the money.

I was lied to all along not knowing until I had manuscript issues, and the so called Editor that i was told came with the deal was going to cost me $500 more. Their graphics team was deliberately screwing up my book cover. Then tried hitting me up for $300 for do overs. I say deliberate for the simple fact even a monkey can put 3 images together, and they screwed it up even though I provided step by step instructions and a mock image.

I ultimately ended up doing all the work on my book, from formatting,making corrections, layout and the cover for the book. I've been seeing these reviews and Author House explains them away as competitors making them up to discredit Author House. Well my book is done & the preview they put on their book site is totally screwed up. My co-coordinator disappeared the day I signed off to send the manuscript to press.

The man who initially contacted me responds telling me to take up my issues with the coordinator. To top it off, all prices did major changes. My original agreement was they took $10 per book sales through them. That fee now is $15 per book.

Earning them more than double my royalties. I'm waiting.

I'm supposed to get a payout every 4 months, so when Nov gets here, if I don't see a check, I'm contacting an attorney. :x

Loss

I am glad i didnt went with them | Authorhouse review

i have contacted author house about publishing my book and the emailing it right off of being responded to. i will send them emails and ask questions about getting my book being published. even with that the answers are really confusing. they give me answers and i wouldn't even make ups and downs from it. even when i do get an answer, i wouldn't get an answer for up to two weeks. they will call but after three days maybe. i am glad that i didn't go with them to published my book. does anyone know a really good publishing company to publish my book?
Authorhouse Publishing Service

"WHAT'S ON MY MIND AND IN MY HEART" | Authorhouse review from Pauls Valley, Oklahoma

I have been scammed for over $22000.00 from Authorhouse and royalties received were next to none. So many Authors have had the same thing happen to them. Now is the time to bring them down. Get in touch with Peter J Lamont Esq. From New Jersey. Tele 973 949 3770 or Email www.peterlamontesq.com Call today so you can get the help you need with a class action lawsuit today. If you haven't gotten a Lawyer Just give them a call and they will send you the papers to sign. I received mine in one day. Authorhouse published my book in 2009 and made lot's of promises. None of them came to fruition. So if you need help with a lawsuit just give Mr. Lamont a call. Thank You
Tags
  • American novels

Rubbish Email | Authorhouse review

Check this rubbish email out no pauses what so ever and no grammar. If you want to email them check out the name at the bottom ' Author solutions' Hello Ms. Krupa, Your email has been forwarded to client services for assistance. AuthorHouse does not intend to owe authors or get money from our authors for no reason. AuthorHouse is a print-on-demand self publishing company, not a traditional publishing company. Print-on-demand publishing means that copies of a book are only printed when an order has been placed for the book. The electronic file of the cover of the book and the interior of the book are set up at the printers and when an order is placed through a vendor, the request is sent to the printer and copies of the book are printed to fulfill the order. A self publishing company is a company that produces the electronic files for a book and sets the files up at the printer but does not have any input in any final content or design elements of the book and does not participate in marketing or selling the book. Self publishing companies accept all manuscripts that pass a content evaluation, which checks for liable issues and inappropriate content. The manuscript is not evaluated to determine if it is a well written or sellable manuscript and our staff does not provide suggestions or improvements to the manuscript, as a traditional publishing company would do. All design and content decisions are made by the author and the book files are not sent to the printer until the author has given approval of both the cover and interior files. AuthorHouse has contracts with printers and distributors and creates the printer file so that an author can create their physical book and have it distributed to various websites, where it will be listed for sale. AuthorHouse does not actively market or promote any books. After the book has been completed and is available for print at our print partners, it is up to the author to market and sell their book. AuthorHouse does provide services that the author can purchase to assist them through the publishing process, such as editing services, and to assist with the author’s marketing efforts after the book has been completed. AuthorHouse is not determined to take money from authors and in order to sell copies of the finished book, the author needs to be prepared to market and promote their book after it has been complete. If an author does not understand how the self publishing industry operates and that the author is required to promote and sell the book, then this can be a source of confusion and AuthorHouse does have a customer support team that is available 24 hours a day to answer any questions that an author may have. AuthorHouse is a self publishing company, which means the author is responsible for all publishing decisions and all marketing efforts. When books are sold through online vendors, the vendor keeps a portion of the sale amount and then reports the remaining amount to AuthorHouse and the cost of printing the book and processing the printing is deducted and the author receives a set portion of the net sale amount. In 2011 and 2012, the AuthorHouse accounting system and book orders system was transferred to a new system, which caused issues with the payment of some sales but our accounting department has worked to remediate these issues. We take each concern very seriously and work to ensure that each author is paid accurately for all of their book sales. Any concerns that are brought to our attention are fully researched and if it is found that additional royalties are owed to an author, we issue a new payment to correct the problem. Before purchasing a publishing package with a self publishing company, all authors should fully research the self publishing process so that they are aware of how they are publishing their book and how a self publishing company does not guarantee any sales as generating sales is the responsibility of the author. Unfortunately, many people do purchase publishing packages without realizing that they retain the responsibility of generating sales for their book. Many of our authors are very successful and generate royalties each quarter but the authors who are unaware of how self publishing works may write negative reviews online. The online reviews are monitored and the majority of authors who have complained online have not contacted our office to work towards a resolution and we have addressed the issues of authors who have contacted our office with a complaint. Responses to your original questions are below. Why are you selling the unit in America? AuthorHouse is a U.S. company based in Indiana and the printers and distributors that AuthorHouse is partnered with are also based in the United States. Despite this, we do have the ability to distribute book information to international websites and print books in countries outside of the United States. Why do you owe over £21,000? Please provide more information on where this number is originating from and who this amount is owed to and then I will be able to better answer this question. Why do you ask people for money over the phone? If an author would like to purchase a publishing package or publishing services throughout the publication process or after the book has been completed, our representatives take the payment for the services over the phone because AuthorHouse does not keep credit card information on file in order to protect the author’s sensitive information. Authors are also given the option to mail a check to our office to pay for their services or they can purchase any services online through the AuthorHouse website. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Regards, Erin DunnClient Services Royalties Administrator 1663 Liberty Drive Suite 200 Bloomington, IN 47403edunn@authorsolutions.com888.728.8467

"our representatives take the payment for the services over the phone because AuthorHouse does not keep credit card information on file in order to protect the author’s sensitive information;"

This statement is not true and Eric Dunn is mistaken, ill-informed, or whatever. My account was just credited as my credit card was on file much to my surprise.

I even inquired if I needed to provide my credit number, etc. again, and was told "no, I have it right here."

Although your explanation of the process involved between AuthorHouse and printers was interesting, you evaded the issue and only made your company appear more crooked than it already is! Indeed, the books are print-on-demand and therefore AH always knows when sales are made because the booksellers place the darn orders with the publisher who's got his big greedy eye on the money that is made from the orders!

Moreover, AH/AS never does show its authors the true records of sales. No publisher of any caliber is going to publish over 70,000 authors and not have a hand in on the sales of the products! AH/AS most certainly spearheads the nasty production of deceiving new authors and stealing their money and the rights to the authors' Intellectual Properties! But not for long, because that HOUSE of Internet Piracy shall soon come crashing down!

That which is done in the darkness shall come to the light. :grin

View more comments (1)
Authorhouse Publishing Service

Never recieved proceeds from my book! | Authorhouse review from Indianapolis, Indiana

I wrote a childrens book several years ago and never recieved proceeds from it. I have seen my book in used book stores several times...that shows me,there has been sales! I am writing to request for you to make this right. I want to recieve my proceeds! Please investegate this requests.My book name is: "You are Special."By: Tonya Dehart. I expect to hear from you...I do not want to take this any further...but will! I do not know the dollar amount that is owned to me, for I have not recieved ant communication from Author House.I can be contacted through this email, or: Tonya Dehart 3916 Pineview Greenwood, In. 46142

Saw this post.did a google and found over 9 different sites listing your book .you should do a good search and contact a lawyer,sue for fraud and other things .maybe contact irs about them.

Mermaid on the Bay | Authorhouse review from San Francisco, California

I self-published a book titled "Mermaid on the Bay" (ISBN 1-4184-2040-9 (sc)) in 2004 with Authorhouse (1663 Liberty Drive, Suite 200, Bloomington, Indiana 47403). I quickly decided that the book was not ready for the public, and have been working on it for the last seven years. Last year I submitted the new version to another company, but its not available yet. I also requested and recieved an email from Authorhouse stating that the 2004 version would not be available. Today, I found twenty-two postings of the old version of my book, #1. I have not given written permission to Authorhouse to re-introduce the 2004 version. #2. My name on the copywrite page (IV) of the electronic version has been changed.#3. The pricing of these books ranges from $3.99 (used) to $30.05, so it appears they are aware of the new version of my book and want to monopolize the market. Greg Trybullgregtrybull@yahoo.com
Authorhouse Publishing Service
It's a good thing for AuthorHouse that I waited a while to write this because my initial reaction was to blast the company. I would say that, since it's all over, I am mildly pissed about my experience with them. It would have been worse except that I now...

Sorry for your experience but very grateful you shared it. I looked into several print-on-demand publishers, AH being one of them, and have pretty much decided just to hoof it on my own for now.

Thanks again and all the best. Hope your publishing goes more smoothly in the future.

View more comments

UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER | Authorhouse review from Saint Louis, Missouri

Update by user Mar 01, 2013

Forgot to state that the information that they submitted incorrectly was my name! Yes, they submitted the wrong last name on the about the author section of my book.

Original review posted by user Mar 01, 2013

My book was published and released by Authorhouse Jan of this year. They incorrectly submitted my About the Author section to Amazon and Barnes and Nobles. Thus causing confliction with my buyers. After reporting this error to Authorhouse multiple times, as of today March 1st, this has not been rectified. Authorhouse has not offered any compensation for their mistake and are basically telling me there's nothing they can do to correct their error. Please consider other publishing companies before choosing Authorhouse. In addition, their customer service reps do not provide quality service and after speaking with supervisors and managers no one has offered a definitive response on providing resolution to this issue.